View Single Post
Old 02-03-05, 08:59 PM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by TysonB
don d,

Hell, if I'd waited till I had 10% body fat, I'd have never have done my four marathons or my centuries. I'm only 54 years old, but this little round Choctaw body will never see 10% body fat until my death bed!

I suggest that if you feel good, get goin'.

Tyson
Centuries and Marathons are somewhat different than competitive bike races. They are primarily fitness events or fun events. I suspect most people who compete in these don't do alot of "periods" in their training. They just run or ride as much as they can and as often as they can. I'm not saying anyone should refrain from participating in fitness events based on body fat content, within reason.

If you want to be competitive though, if you want to finish first in the marathon or bike race, you must lose the body fat, and the base period is when you must do it. The long slow/steady rides at 60-75% MHR are what take the weight off and build the aerobic base at the same time.

At the lower levels of competition, you may be able to finish a flat criterium bike race near the front while you're heavy, but you will not be able to on a hilly course or as you move up in category.

As long as your body fat is high, I think you should focus training on bringing weight down with smaller emphasis on intervals and tempo. For competition, focus on events that will help you bring the body fat down, like centuries or randonnees.

By the way, 10% is not that low. I think the avg. american male is ~12%. I think you can be pretty competitive around 8%, but if you want to fly, you'll have to get down to 4-6%.