Old 05-07-09, 12:42 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DX Rider
When I was younger, my father drove and my mother didn't. She was afraid to learn. There are eight kids in my family, so my father was always on the go driving someone, somewhere. When I hung with my mother, we were basically car free travelers, either by taxi or bus.

My dad died when I was 15 and by that time all of my brothers and sisters had moved out of the house and most had moved out of state. So my mother and I lived car free until I joined the military after high school. I drove for a few years, after I got out of the military, but I was never a big fan of it and I have now been car free/car light for the last 12 years.

I really have no desire to have a car, but do you know who the biggest advocate of my getting a car is now? My mother, because she wants someone to chaffuer her around. Since my seven sibliings have all returned to the area, I'm not really compelled to get a license just for that reason, since she has alternatives
Elderly parents are a reason to drive a car. Almost all of the driving I do (5 or 10 miles a month) is to take my dad to doctor appointments. He isn't interested in taking the shuttle bus, so he maintains a car of his own even though he hasn't been able to drive for more than 10 years.

"Think Outside the Cage"