Old 05-09-09, 08:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When Sydney, my oldest female cat, passed away in 2003, I rode a century (100 miles) in her memory. When Sabre, my diabetic male cat, passed away 3 months ago I wanted to do the same thing. It took a while, but I have finally done it, and I spent quite a bit of time thinking of him as I rode.

It rained overnight and I was a bit concerned that it would continue to rain this morning, but the sky was clearing as we set off. My father and I met Willi and Dan at Tim Hortons and we all set off together. Willi and Dan were doing my 300K brevet route, I was aiming for a century, and my father was out for a shorter ride. Willi and Dan sped off shortly after the start - they were on the clock and needed to make their controls in time. My father and I rode more or less together to Sylvan Lake when my father headed for home.

I continued on, and despite the fact that I took a shortcut, I arrived at the Eckville control only about 5 minutes before Willi and Dan got there. Last week there was no wind to speak of. This week there was wind ... and it was slowing me down!

Willi and I rode together for a few minutes after the Eckville control, and then he caught up to Dan and they disappeared in the distance. I hope they did all right on the rest of the 300K.

Meanwhile I was slogging up the hills toward Leslieville ... but I knew that when I reached the top of the last hill, the view is definitely worth it! You can see the whole valley spread out around, with the mountains in the distance. It's beautiful ... the pictures don't really do it justice.

A short time later I was in Leslieville. I like the Leslieville store ... it's more than just a small-town grocery store or convenience store. They've got some good stuff in there! I had an orange pop and a delicious, and fairly large butter tart square. Mmmmmm!

I had been watching the clouds, and keeping my eye on two storm cells forming between me and home. Shortly after I got back onto Hwy 11, heading for home, the most distant storm cell sent out a billowy white arm toward me. It started to rain as I rolled into the parking lot of a school, and just as I got under shelter it started to hail. I waited for the hail to pass, and then set off, but the closer storm got me and soaked me. It was like they were hunting me down!! They grouped together and grew into a large thunderhead that followed me back to Red Deer.

I got into Red Deer with 17 km to go. Unfortunately the wind really kicked up because of the incoming storm, so I spent the last hour or so trying to make up 17 km by riding back and forth, and round and round ... often being blown about by the wind, and trying to dodge the rain.

I was exhausted when I got in. This is the first century I've done since November, and the longest ride by far since November. I've gotten out of practice!!

The pictures of this ride are the last 9 in this set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1430288...7617519339243/