View Single Post
Old 05-10-09, 08:35 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

So on with the heart monitor-another of the problems solved this week- and see if I can do a ride at 75 to 85% of my max. Down to the cafe but straight past and up to the top of Beachy Head- Suicide capital of the South. Only about a 400ft climb at 8% and kept the heart rate within my limits. In fact- no matter how hard I pushed I could not get above the 85%- Mentally I could not do it. The HR hit 140 and it just stuck there. Then it was back down the hill- but down the 15% to get a bit of adrenalyn going. Didn't get above 45mph and normally I am pushing for 50. Just could not wring that final bit out of the brain again.
Real nice ride report!

Just one thing about HR: If you're not training seriously on a structured plan, there's (IMO) no real good reason to go above that 85%, and hence no reason to worry about the inability to do so. At least from a non-doctor's naive point of view. I know that I can go higher than that, but it isn't fun. You're probably a lot more fit than I overall, so things will be different for you, but I would personally not worry about it.

Road Fan