View Single Post
Old 05-11-09, 05:47 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
If there were more Cat 3 races scheduled before the Masters, I'd think about doing both. But then the 3s would be much harder because I sort of rely on the Masters races to get the Masters 3s a bit tired. Usually the guys winning/placing in the 3s have already done two Masters races (and done very well in them, like winning them).

Since I target the 3s or 3/4s, I won't enter a race that's scheduled earlier in the day than that one.

At the same time, I'm finding it harder to hang onto the P123s after the 3s. I haven't finished a P123 race in probably 5 or 6 years (regardless of whether or not I did a 3 race before, although I usually did). If I can get into the meat of a P123 race (in a 40 lap race, make it into the last 10 laps with some legs left) then I'd do it. That's been 2-3 years.

With virtually no disposable income, my race budget has shrunk considerably and I'm spending it with some purpose in mind. So throwing $20 around suddenly seems excessive, whereas before it wasn't significant. So unless I feel like I could do most of the race, I won't spend the money.

I know it's a Catch-22. My early season used to be 1 - training series; 2 - enter a 123 race and hang on for dear life; 3 - enter Cat 3 races and think they're slow. Now I don't do step 2 because I can't hang on, and therefore Step 3 never happens.

cdr