View Single Post
Old 02-05-05, 10:30 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trekke
I have a friend that rides a trike. He does so because of a hip injury. he has 2 and has owned several others. I would consider him extremely knowledgable about this subject. I can pass your email to him if you like. He does not visit this forum.
It sounds like your friend would be a great addition to the forum. Why not get him registered? When you have a chance to talk with your friend, ask him which of his trikes seems to be the most stable and the least likely to be involved in a serious injury causing crash.

I got to thinking about this when an elderly friend of my fell with his road bike. His broken arm ended up costing $14,000 to fix. I suspect that an arm that was about fifty years younger would have been less likely to break in the same fall, and could have been fixed a lot cheaper.

I was reading about some time trials with 'bents, and the article said that sometimes there were spectacular crashes at speeds up to 60 mph. Because the riders were low to the ground, in a "feet first" position, they would just slide along with the bike until they came to a halt. Lots of abrasions, but no broken bones. No broken helmets. An hour later, the rider was riding his next trial. And, from all reports, broken bones are a lot less fun after someone reaches age 60 or 70.