Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The stretched leather saddles, like Brooks, are the only ones I'm aware of that improve in comfort over time. They're still not universally loved. Back in the olden days, that's what everybody used. You don't see so many today. I assume that means thet lots of people, like me, have gavitated on to something else.
No, you don't see so many of them in the US, and you don't see so many of them among recreational cyclists, or in the racing crowd, but if you were to go to Europe, they are definitely there, and if you were to poll the Randonneuring, Audax, and long distance crowd, you'd probably find that the majority of riders have returned to (or never left) the Brooks.

I was VERY skeptical. I liked my comfy gel saddles. But after a couple years of Randonneuring, those comfy gel saddles weren't so comfy anymore, and I switched to a Brooks B-17. I was still skeptical for the first 800 kms or so ... and then suddenly, in the middle of my 1000K brevet, it broke in and has been GREAT ever since.

But I do agree that saddles are personal and what works for one, won't necessarily work for another.