View Single Post
Old 05-12-09, 09:29 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minimalism is such an appealing concept. There is great truth to the idea that control of one's life can be lost to possessions. Paying for them, insuring them, protecting them, maintaining them. Precious time and energy is spent on our stuff

Somehow we have come to believe that we are what we own. Who we are as people has gotten so mixed up with homes, cars, clothing, CDs... and yes, camping gear, bikes, cycling clothing, that we find it difficult to measure our own value without thinking about what we own.

Upon returning from our last bike tour the totality of our possessions were stored within our VW van. A month after renting an apartment we were still (happily) sleeping on our Thermarest mattresses on the floor. Friends and family members though we were kooky so we bought a bed.... and a couch, and a dining table, and a nice chair, and paintings, desks, and..... you get it. My shed began to fill with bikes. The CD collection grew. The book shelf got full and spilled over into piles on an end table. Suddenly, within a year, we are once again drowning in stuff.

It is time to begin decluttering. Why must we go through this binge and purge every few years?

" i feel my biggest asset is my health" I love that quote! So many work so hard to sacrifice and save for the security of retirement only to find that they failed in the most important measure... physical and mental wellbeing.

At times living on the road may seem lonely. Remember, there many of us who are with you in spirit.