Old 05-12-09, 05:45 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I've built something like ten different teams over the last dozen years not including composite teams.

In the beginning it is pretty easy to get the basics done. Kit is BY FAR the biggest PITA every year.

Once you throw in sponsors (and the hunt for those sponsors) things get more complicated.

I let egos walk every time. No good comes from having a prima dona around unless you are all drawing a paycheck.

Once you start to include travel to events, hotels, cars, designated 'team' equipment things ramp up another notch.

Writing proposals, managing a budget, shopping the team for sponsors can be time consuming and thankless. You'd better love it.

Having said all that I have always been very proud of the teams I've created and the success of the riders (even after they moved on) that have been involved over the years. It really gives me a sense that I have given something back to the sport and that I was able to help younger riders on their way up, and some riders who were just decent people in it for the fun.

My suggestion would to be to go into it with your eyes open. Take it to what ever level you feel good about. If you don't enjoy it walk away at the end of the season and try again the following year or just be better for the experience.

Don't forget to post your kit designs so we can all critique the crap out of them.