View Single Post
Old 05-13-09, 09:30 PM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Well, the OP didn't initially give a whole lot more to work with beyond, they're the type with fewer spokes, which I'm breaking. So, the obvious response would be: Get some with more spokes.

It's always interesting how environment and riding style can effect our realative experience with a given bit of equipment. I've bee riding the same pair of high spoke count wheels for over 8 years without any issues other than cog, tire replacement and an annual tension check. I've moved to a new location and in 5 months they're almost trashed. Been trued once, and are in need again. My riding style hasn't changed that dramaticly, my riding environment has. Urban pot holes, man hole covers, and water main covers are taking their toll. When I first got here, I looked at getting some low spoke count wheels. After riding my wifes Rolf's just a couple times (ssshhh, she doesn't know) and the above experience, I decided against it. I'm well convince that they wouldn't hold up here, while they probably would have at my previous residence.

Out of curriousity what wheels are you riding?
"Machine built" Shimano WH-R500's, trued and tensioned/relieved by me! I live in northern NJ, that has some of the worst roads in America. While I agree that location can play a small part in the equation, rider skill, or lack thereof, and crappy wheels that aren't properly relieved, trued and tensioned has more to do with it than anything else.