View Single Post
Old 05-13-09, 11:38 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I don't think the problem is with the lack of quality products coming from Schwinn. I think the problem is with the low quality products they let their name be put on. I can go to Performance Bike (already a suspect move, I admit) and buy a $1000 Schwinn that's the equal of any Trek/Giant/Jamis/Cannondale. in its price range. But I can also take $150 and go to Walmart and buy a "Schwinn" that has Magna/Next/Kent/Pacific for its peers.

If they want to regain their prestige, they need to stop doing that.
Right, I use a Schwinn made in 1984 to commute on. However, at this point ai would be very hesitant to recommend Schwinn and, unless it is an old generation bike, I would not even consider buying one used.

The trouble is that there are good Schwinn's and total POS Schwinn's being sold and I would worry that if I recommend the brand, someone would go any buy the POS, and then say it is what I recommended. As far as used ones, The possibility of purchasing a POS on accident is jut too high.

It is a branding image issue. They can not play in both fields without diluting the brand image. At the present Schwinn cannot demand the same price as Trek and Specialized because the brand image is diluted.