Old 05-14-09, 05:18 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
The even gear steps are not something I worry about. I don't need to keep that tight of control on my cadence.
I'm an old time trialer so the cadence thing is noticiable, not required. I also commute on a Nexus 8R35, I do find I adjust my speed to have a comfortable cadence, old habits die hard!

Where did you access the internals to pour in the oil? Has any of it leaked out?
To add oil to my im9 I removed the non-drive side axle cone and slowly added the ATF by pouring it into the hub alongside the axle. I have a slight amount of seepage around the disposable drive side dust cap (the big black plastic cover between hub sheel and cog). Also a little seepage on the non-drive side cone. That may be because I don't have the rubber dustcap on, I have been fighting the axle adjustment on this hub. I've run old Sturmey-Archer hubs with oil for years. Trick is to keep the level below the axle/cone seals, if you add too much oil, it'll leak out until the level is below the axle seal.

I am much happier with this hub now that I'm running with ATF. As soon as I can source a disposable dustcap, I'll pull the guts and clean them in paint thinner, then run only ATF.