Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by amaferanga
I don't wish to argue with you Machka, as I've said before when it comes to your thing you do give some great advice, but this thread isn't about randoneurs and I don't believe you've set foot in Africa or taken on a big adventurous tour so I'm really not sure why you're posting here. You have offered lots of advice, but most of it is irrelevant (e.g. the stuff about some hostelling association - you really think there are hostels in Ethiopia or Uganda or Zambia that are members. Do you think there are hostels all over Africa?)
I have toured quite a bit in various parts of the world, including one (so far) extended tour with someone whose idea of touring was like doing a randonnee every day for 90 days, complete with bush camping and everything. I also have plans to do more touring this summer, and much more in the years to come.

And I know where the hostels are in Africa - there are several .... if you'd taken a moment to look at the link I posted, you could see where they are too. I'd encourage Flic to ignore your comment above and have a look at the link. From the sounds of what was written on the hostelling international site, those hostels could be like an oasis to her.

Keep in mind ...... You had experience with a bicycle before you went on your tours ... Flic does not have any experience with a bicycle. You are a man ... Flic is a young girl. Very different situations.

I agree with chromedome when he says: "And if I may say so, amaferanga, you are completely irresponsible for encouraging her to the extent that you have to do something as risky and poorly planned as what she has in mind. Maybe you got away with it, but not everybody does. If you have so little respect for other people's families, you should just leave them alone."

I almost wonder what you have against Flic.

As I've said in many of my posts (which you would have noticed if you'd taken the time to read them) ... I have few issues with her going to Africa. I'm sure there are some lovely areas there. My main issue revolves around the fact that she has chosen a method of transportation which she is completely and utterly unfamiliar with. As I've repeated time and again, I'd express the same concerns if she had decided to tour Australia by bicycle. My next concern revolves around the fact that she has left any sort of planning to the very last second ... and can't even be bothered to ride her bicycle for practice. As someone else mentioned, it makes us wonder how serious she really is about all this ... or if it has been an amusing joke for her. I must say, this has all been very entertaining!!