Old 05-15-09, 08:45 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I think the OP is asking about rankings vs. a separate class. I'd agree that some ranking system shouldn't be a huge undertaking for USA cycling, but bear in mind they've been doing a revamp of their old system and hadn't gotten it working by the start of May.

You might contact some of the other racers and Email USA cycling to see if they will add a handicapped ranking.

We've got one racer here who is in the same situation (we share coaches), and there was a kid in Reno who was also racing with a prosthesis. Know that your peers hold you in high regard. Also know that the guys around you are trying a little bit harder than normal. Nobody wants to get beat by you.

Beyond that, like the pack fodder that most of us are the race is really against yourself. Unless you're sandbagging you'll eventually find yourself a non factor, if for nothing else because of your racing age. Go into the races with a goal, be it a finishing position, a time (TT's are great for this), or just to finish (see my Tour of the Gila thread). Go OTF from the gun and get a rep as "that crazy one-legged guy". Break a one hour 40km TT. The possibilities are endless.

And I'll get up on my ex-military little soap box and state that we have a lot of bumper sticker troop supporters in this country who elect people that screw us over. We can bail out Citibank with billions so people can keep borrowing money to buy carp but we can't come up with a new GI Bill for guys like the OP. That's an absolute disgrace.