View Single Post
Old 05-17-09, 05:00 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Puddlejumper
First off hello to all, I just registered as a new member... I found this forum on google... I just acquired matching his/her John Deere bikes. They were apparently made in the mid-60's, possibly in Taiwan. They were originally 3 speed bikes and say so on the frames, and have a shifter on the right handlebar, but the derailer is removed and there is a single sprocket on the rear tire with no provision for shifting. Apparently these bikes are not worth very much and have a reputation for being unreliable, which explains the missing shifter mechanisms. I really like these frames (I am a John Deere collector) and what I would like to do is to strip them completely and have them polished and clearcoated to preserve the finish, then build them up with modern components. I want to use quality parts that will not rust (aluminum, stainless, titanium, whatever) but I do not need competition parts. I want these bikes to fun and easy to ride, but they will not be commuter bikes or racing bikes or anything like that. I will probably change out the old style handlebars, brakes, shifters, etc. and would like to go back to 3 or maybe even 5 speeds.

What I need is opinions from experienced bike enthusiasts about the best parts, sources for parts, etc.

I will post pics this evening.

Thanks to all who help!!!

Dave
Well, if they were 3 speed, there is no derailleur. The gears are internal. If you can determine the make of the hubs, we can likely get you pointed in the right direction to get them either functioning again, or replaced.
Get some good shots of the drive side of the hub, and also have a look to see if there is any branding , model and year stamped on the hub shell. You may have to reach in through the spokes and rub some dirt away to see anything.
John Deere bikes are cool.
Here's mine.
http://cid-c5aa741102f41823.skydrive...uilt%20018.jpg