Old 05-18-09, 06:27 AM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty certain your neighbor that left the note lives directly below the room with the trainer.

Just like that boom box, the air space between the joist of your floor and the neighbors ceiling is a echo chamber and the sound below can be very annoying. You being above it will not notice it, if at all.

I have two story house, a very quiet treadmill in my upstairs office space, does not make much sound when in use, when both wife and I are upstairs. One night she was using, I went downstairs to read, and was shock at the low drumming sound the treadmill made.

Sound travels through the floor and if channeled via the joist, it will amplify just like a BOSE wave technology sound system.

I had a similar experience in a warehouse/office building I managed - I pounding sound was constantly reverberating through out the building, a slow dull pound, pound type sound in the low range. We searched the building for the source, stepped outside at each of the doors, and we were certain the sound was in the building, as the only activity outside was a man on a roller smoothing out a area for a new building about a quarter mile away. He would even wave when he saw us, friendly chap

After about an hour, we gave up, the source could not be located. About that time the guy from the roller came int he front door, smile and asked if he was causing a problem. One of my staff, no, not you, but then puzzled, said "there was this slow annoying drumming sound, BUT it is gone now!" He smiled, and explained that he was the source of the annoying sound. His equipment was not a roller, it was a compactor, and even though the sound was not noticed outside, it was transmitted through the ground and our buildings roof was trapping the sound making it louder. He apologized, said he would stop for the day and return later after 5 PM to finish. The next day he stopped by with a nice assortment of pastries, and the staff forgave him for the headaches suffered the day prior.

I would talk to the downstairs neighbor, confirm they experience the noise, and then even ask the Mrs. or you to ride your trainer while the other listens with the neighbor to confirm the issue.

Sometimes understanding anothers' point of view and apologizing if at fault may solve the problem if a understanding for tolerance could be learned.

All the best and hopes you and your family will find that nice house in Colorado...

PS: Also a heart expressed THANK YOU for your service.