Old 05-18-09, 04:17 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Uh, 6" portable ratchet wrench would require 50-60 pounds of force from your hand to get to the required torque. Have you lifted a 50-60 ft sack of concrete or rice or beans lately? It's A LOT of force and would most likely puncture your palm with the end of the wrench.

The frequency of the noise would indicate either the bottom-bracket or just one crankarm as being the culprit. If you don't see scrapes on the chainstay, then the arms aren't hitting it.

My bet is on the BB-cups. The threading is typically a little loose to allow for paint and hand-installation. You'll want to test with wrapping multiple layers of teflon plumbling tape around the BB cups before installing. I start with too many and work down. Usually I start with 4-layers and if it doesn't go in, I re-wrap with 3-layers. If it goes in easily, I re-wrap with 5-layers. I've had bikes that squeaked with 3-layers and stopped with 4-layers. Just one more makes a huge difference.

Also be aware that the lockring will pull out the adjustable-cup and loosen your bearing adjustment. Hold the end of the crankarm where it's closest to the chainstay and push in and out, do you feel movement? If so, adjust the bearings a little tighter so that when the lockring pulls out the cup, the bearings will be just perfect.