Old 05-20-09, 12:07 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Vintage Bicycle Injuries - Mine Smacked Me

I live on the 5th floor and keep my machines indoors. As I was carrying my Hetchins up the steps on Sunday I slipped. The front wheel hit the next step and wedged left full lock. The left end of the handlebar smacked me hard in the mouth as I went sprawling over the bike. It hurt like hell.

I managed to get up but at first I didn't want to probe the damage with my tongue, imagining a good chance of a broken tooth and preferring not to know, but I could taste blood. I put my hand to my mouth and then down to see a blob of scarlet in the palm. I'd cut the inside and outside of my upper lip. Did I say it hurt like hell?

That evening was the worst as the lip swelled up twice its normal size and I had difficulty eating, smiling or talking. Today it's a lot better but as I tease it from time to time I think back to other times I've nearly slipped carrying the bike up and down steps. I've got to be careful!

There was a news story here in Tokyo about a year ago: A guy had left his bicycle at the local station one night as he'd been drinking... or maybe it'd been raining so he decided to walk home. The next day he went to collect it on another bike and was riding home holding the stem of the other bike as he went. He fell off and the brake lever of the bike he was holding went into his eye, killing him instantly.

Am I a disaster waiting to happen? Or have any or all of you had mishaps and near-misses?