Old 05-21-09, 08:47 AM
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones

Bikes: Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, just how much can I 'modernize' a Varsity frame?

Picked up a 24" Yellow Varsity.

I have a friend who says he can powdercoat it, but I haven't decided. May be easier to touch up the paint somehow.

As I understand, a lot of folks convert them to FG/SS for simplicity, reliability, etc.

I'm not familiar enough with components to know what would fit or what wouldn't. I reckon most any clamp-on FD would work, but no idea what newer cranksets, RD, cassettes would work. Also, are there clamp-on downtube shifter mounts out there?

Likewise the brakes. What modern brake, cable and lever sets will work? While its mainly a matter of aesthetic preference, I think I would prefer to be able to route the brake cables under the bar tape - is this possible?

What seatposts, stems, bars out there will work?

Wheelsets? Can I get 700c rims to fit and the brakes and everything else to work with them?

Don't even get started on English, Italian and French threads. I'd be hopelessly confused

Oh yeah, and did I mention that I'm on a limited budget like everyone else?

How much money we talking about here? After all if it's gonna cost $500 in components (to say nothing of the time spent) then it would be easier in the scheme of things to find a different bike....or concentrating on Project Blue (the C-dale CAAD9) instead.

Tom