View Single Post
Old 05-22-09, 05:31 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I know almost nothing about Cannondales, so I can't help with your question.

But that is a pretty nice bike. And nice components. You sure you want or need to update them? I am a fan of older MTB's, and with the exception of the brake levers being huge and unwieldy (and flexy, sometimes), I like the old components. Sometimes those old shifters just need to be completely cleaned out (the pawls in Rapidfire-type shifters get gummed up and do not engage well until they are cleaned). And completely cleaning or replacing the chain does more than you might guess it would. And it never hurts to take the derailleurs off to clean them completely, then lightly oil them and set them up from scratch with new cables/housings. Yours might be worn out, of course. But if it really only had 500km on it, then I would be pretty optimistic about bringing them back to life. And a wobble in the wheel is a good opportunity to learn a thing or two about truing a wheel. The rim could be bent, but I would try truing it first.

Not trying to talk you out of updating it. New components can be nice. But, you have a good stuff hanging off a good frame, so give it a little thought before going that route.

I do have an old C-dale MTB from about the same vintage (I think it is an Alpine; I think a lower end C-dale). The components on mine are just bad. But, the frame seems like it has lots of potential that could be tapped.

jim