View Single Post
Old 05-23-09, 01:33 PM
knzn

Bikes: 1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well dang, broke a spoke

Got up this morning with ideas of a personal best ride. Fixed a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with honey and blueberrys. I would like it even if wasn't good for you!

Started out nice and easy, beautiful day, mild winds (for Kansas!) and at mile 3.5 started feeling strong.
As I pedaled along the cares of the world started melting away like they do when on a nice ride. At mile 12 I stopped for a short break and a couple of dried apricots. For this days ride it was also my turn around point.

Got back in stride and was feeling really good. Had thoughts of a personal best ride going through my head. Then at mile 18, while on a nice down hill section (again, for kansas!) I heard the POP!

It was on the back and things got a bit jabber wacky as I slowed down and got stopped. Whipped out the cell phone and called the boy and pushed it to a meeting spot.

So----loaded it up and took it to the LBS. My bike is a stock Trek 1000 with Alexrims AT450 rims. It is not hard to do a search and find many opinions that these are not great Clyde rims and spokes. I hover around 235-240. This happened on my 350th mile on the bike. It had a few mile on it when I got it, but not many. I discussed the possibilty of doing an upgrade while at the shop and was pretty much talked out of it. Yes, I could have insisted, but didn't know what to insist on! Anyway I left it with them just to replace the broken spoke and retrue.

Now I am having second thoughts. Should I see how things go and see if this is going to be a regular thing, or upgrade now? Asking a question like this always gets answers all accross the board, but would like to see everyones thoughts on the situation.
Thanks!