View Single Post
Old 05-25-09, 05:14 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bing181
Hi all

Seem to be developing a bit of a "condition" with low blood pressure. Have always been on the low side, always told it was good, but in the last few years have had a couple of episodes when I'm getting a bit off the low scale, even for me. General lethargy, fatigue, low-level headaches etc. etc. Ironically enough, while when I'm like this I hardly want to move off the couch/bed, if I can get onto my bike, I can ride OK.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience of this, and what they do about it? My doc has me on licorice tea, beetroot juice and when it gets really bad, salty food (chips etc.). Any other suggestions .. yet alone suggestions on where it's coming from?

Thanks.

B
Yes, I have this issue also. I'll become faint but never pass out. It is more of a problem after exercise. It often happens when I stand after relaxing in a chair for 20 minutes or more. I might have to lean against the wall to keep from falling. This condition is most pronounced in warm weather and if I'm losing weight.

My Doctor was not that helpful. We were able to duplicate a drop in blood pressure in the doctor’s office. He suggested salt tablets and/or electrolytes drink like Gatorade.

I'm in better shape now. I have a stronger base from riding 500 miles/month. Most people need to cut down on salt, I add it to food whenever possible.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-26-09 at 09:03 PM.