Old 05-25-09, 10:44 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Sometimes it's a lot easier to say what's wrong than it is to say what's right. What should the bike shop owner do? Several folks have taken me to task but not a single one has suggested a fourth choice.
Here's a fourth option, Retro Grouch: Provide exceptional customer service.

I know that may sound silly to some, but it's not. It starts with a simple, polite greeting that acknowledges the customer's presence. Most folks feel welcomed by this, but the potential shoplifter is annoyed from the onset. Good CS involves a high level of positive interaction between staff and customers throughout the visit. When staff/clerks get lazy and just let customers wander around, the store is setting itself up; the potential buyer may feel ignored, unappreciated, or otherwise snubbed, resulting in the possible loss of sales or future visits...and the potential shoplifter is given the privacy s/he needs. That same shoplifter will most likely walk out of or never bother with stores that may seem overattentive. They like stores that don't "bug" them or whose staff are too involved in tasks to take notice.

It's a proven loss prevention strategy. Unfortunately, there are too many retailers...large and small...that have yet to employ it. They think profiling or wearing smocks that ask "How May I Help You" printed on the back is the answer; if you could see their shrink %, you'd see it's not. I'm sure the owner/staffmember referenced by the OP has his reasons for his approach, but he'd probably do the shop (and possibly cycling) a favor if he'd either refine his tactics or adopt a different strategy.