cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986
Hi all,

I keep reading threads where people have wheels that keep true for many thousands of miles. I was wondering if I can get the same effect if I true a stock wheel to within 0.5mm and properly stress test etc. or does this phenomenon only occur on hand built wheels?

Also how much of a jump is it to go from truing wheels to building them?

Thanks

Daven
Depends on the particular machine built wheel and the quality of the components and the build. A properly chosen wheel, with good qualitiy components, machine built properly can probably be tensioned and re-trued by hand to last a long time - if the wheel is being used for it's intended purpose.

Whether or not a wheel stays in true doesn't mean anything. And you shouldn't use that as a metric for quality wheelbuilds. Which is what you're trying to do. A perfectly fine handbuilt wheel will still go out of true if it's not being used for it's ideal application. Say fat guy on a single wall rim, piece of **** hub. etc etc.

If you can tension and true a machine built wheel. It's down to just learning proper lacing and proper preparation and it's all the same.