Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator View Post
You people seem to think "high tension" instead of "proper tension" results in quality wheelbuilds. No wonder there are so many crappy handbuilt wheels out there.
Welcome back.

I think you and Noglider are on the same page here...

I have to agree with you on the proper tension vs high tension as I have heard too many people say that to build a wheel right you need to tighten the spokes to the point of rounding off the nipples or max out the tension.

That is a load.

Proper spoke tension is based on a number of factors as you can only build a wheel that is as strong as it's weakest link and excessive tension can f up a perfectly good rim.

When you use a tension meter and calculate spoke tension there is a minimum and a maximum tension allowed and one needs to work within that range... this is where experience comes into play as you will know that certain components can withstand.

Maxing out the tension also removes one's reduces one's ability to make any adjustments down the road.

Building a wheel is not rocket science but it also isn't child's play... some people never get it.

My Pug has some old Raleigh wheels with a suicide hub but besides that it has single walled Weinmann rims laced with 1.3 mm butted spokes to Normandy hubs... they are very light.

After 15,000 km they are still running as true as the day I rebuilt them... had I ridden them as they were I know they would not have survived the abuse they have received.

Middle of the road parts and an excellent build can yield some great results.