Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986
Hi all,

I keep reading threads where people have wheels that keep true for many thousands of miles. I was wondering if I can get the same effect if I true a stock wheel to within 0.5mm and properly stress test etc. or does this phenomenon only occur on hand built wheels?

Also how much of a jump is it to go from truing wheels to building them?

Thanks

Daven

It depends on the all the components of the wheel really. Can you go back properly stress a machine built wheel that wasn't built well to start with? I don't know ..... but it sounds like a can of worms for a novice.

Who's to say if you could build good wheels until you try it.

Is there something magical about handbuilt wheels? Yes, No.... Maybe..... it depends on the user. It is an art form in itself.... as everyone has their ways of completing the process. The first well built wheel I bought was made by Wheelsmith in the 80's. It was perfect.... and stood up to anything. It didn't last though, as nothing does when it takes on a car.... otherwise I'd still have it. I prefer handbuilt these days too. Joe Young built my last set and I've not had to ever touch them for adjustments. As Gerd Schraner says..... they "Stand"! I use a pro because I set my limits on how much time/energy I want to spend working on a bike. Everyone is different..... they only way to know is to do it.