View Single Post
Old 07-08-02, 01:56 AM
akmtnbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your fork will need to have disc tabs on the backside of the left fork near the bottom and there should also be disc tabs on the left rear upper swing arm just above your rear wheel skewer. The conversion will be rather costly especially if you choose hydraulic brakes. A good set of hydro's runs about $180 usd apiece. Mechanics are cheaper and less maintenence and you can often use your current brake levers but you may need new levers if your current ones don't have cable adjustments. Avid mechanicals are excellent disc brakes and have even been compared to the better hydro brakes. You'll also need to get a set of disc hubs and have these laced into your current wheelset or just get another wheelset. So a disc conversion can cost between $300-$500 depending if you choose hydro's or mech's. I myself chose to go with disc brakes in the front and v-brakes in the back because my rear doesn't have disc tabs and I also like to pull my kid with my Burley trailer and disc's on the rear wouldn't allow this. Also remember that about 75% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. Just makes sure your fork can accept disc's. Also consider if it and the bike is worth it to you. Hope this helps.

akmtnbiker