Old 05-30-09, 06:03 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Missbumble
Or perhaps I should say Miss Bumble camps out for a week! Oy Vey! Ok so I am going on my first ever week long ride across GA with about 1000+ other riders. Thought I would let ya'll know and see what advice or thoughts you have.

It's a great ride - and I have enlisted the services of Bubba's Pampered Peddlers...so Bubba's service will supply a tent and air mattress and blow it up each day - set up the tent and take down the tent. So I will be treated like royally! Apparently he also provides comradery and beverages etc...so should be nice.

It's hard though for me to be out of my element for a week - but I heard about this last year and wanted to join in. So we ride about 65 miles a day - and there are hammerhead options each day for a century a day - but at my speed that may take a long time - and not be the reason I ride. Really - I ride to get out of myself. I ride to meet people...and I ride to have something fun to do. The by product? Lost 50 pounds, look sexy, and am healthier and have a great fun hobby! So I figure 1200 miles a day is not really a good idea because I will not be loving the ride- and not focus on anyone else at all except me. So I will likely do 1 century during our layover day in Athens and do the regular routes

I may have a freind join me one day - so should be fun. Saul Raisin is speaking one night - and I read his amazing book so that should be awesome.

Anjyhoo - the ride starts in Sat - I ride to the end (SC) and take a bus 4 hours to the start. Then on Sunday is the first ride day there's a wine fest of some sort in Dahlonega on Sunday so should be fun.

OK that's it - Just wish me luck!
If your not used to camping, this is a good way to get into bike-camping, because the service provides the accommodation, you don't have to be as minimalist as those going unsupported. You need to be careful about two things

1) A lot of people who try bike & camp touring are hooked after the first trip, before you know it, your discussing tent weights and if soda can stoves are really good enough for day to day use?

2) Watch the wine tasting, trying to ride the next day with a head the size of a penny farthings wheel, would not be fun

Now go out and have fun, take a camera, take lots of pix, we are expecting a ride report with pix on your return. Be safe.