Old 05-31-09, 02:03 PM
cyclistjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by >>ECB<< View Post
1) The chainring would be supported farther out from the spindle, making these kinds of bends less likely.
I don't understand what you mean there :-(

2) If the ring did get bent, it could be replaced separately.

Yes, that's partly what I was getting at in my post :-)

Originally Posted by >>ECB<< View Post

Eh--I don't much care for the idea of having to disassemble/reassemble the bike as I go from place to place. Besides being inconvenient, messy, and time-consuming, that approach seems to defeat a lot of what the Brompton's design is all about.

ECB
Yes, I realise it goes against the philosophy of a folder to take bits off & refit them. The problem though is that it isn't "normal" use of a folder, is it?

I'm sure Brompton, Dahon, et al, didn't design their folders with frequent century 21 air travel in mind :-)

In "the old days" handlers would treat "baggage" with some respect, but sadly it seems that is no longer the case - I wonder why? :-/

After reading your post, in the absence of any pictures, I folded my M3L to try to imagine what happened to your chainring.

Since you mentioned your saddle was pushed forward, it was maybe a glancing blow which distorted the outside of your chainring?

I wonder if the right hand pedal could be strategically placed (& "locked") to help prevent such a blow?

In the USA you have many reasonably priced options for spiders & separate chainrings.

Maybe you can persuade your LBS to take a pic' of the bent chainring?

John