Old 06-01-09, 10:27 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1985 Panasonic Team rebuild done (modem blaster)

I posted questions at various times re: this project. I've been riding it for a couple of months now, finally got around to posting pictures. The frame is a 1985 Panasonic Team. The fork is original but I painted it in an attempt to match the "night blue" frame color. It was silver. Touched up the frame quite a bit as well.

The frame was de-rusted on the inside using that cool product whose name escapes me at this moment. Then framesaver. I think the pics cover all the key components. Not period-accurate across the board, but I got what I wanted. Weight is a shade over 21 lbs. My favorite part of the bike: the original anodized Araya 20A rims.

Notable are the Shimano 600 top mount shifters which are rarely seen in the wild. And yes, the delicate shifter internals are problematic in index mode as described by Sheldon Brown. I just use friction, which is quite smooth once you get the feel for right tension.

The spokes are dt swiss competition, the threaded hub is a Maillard with 6 spd Shimano 14-28 freewheel. Shimano 600 crank, 39-52 rings. The bottle cages are original made in Japan, close to period-correct.

cheers, and thanks for the help along the way