View Single Post
Old 06-03-09, 04:35 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using Garmin GPS models in lieu of a cyclometer for the last 12 years but haven't been at all impressed by their supposed 'bike-specific' models. The ones I use have all been marketed primarily for auto use but have served me much better than the x05 series would.
- Battery life is longer (14 - 24 hours) and two of my three run on standard AA cells so it's easy to carry NiMH spares (or to get AAs at any convenience store while on a tour).
- They included maps of North America with the 'points-of-interest' data for much less expense than the 605/705 (very useful when touring to get directions to the nearest grocery store, bike shop, motel, etc.)
- Routing can be easily changed between car and bicycle so you won't get routed onto freeways while cycling but can also be used in the car on the way to events
- Unlike friends who have lost their 305 and 705 models, my impromptu rubberband attachment to the handlebars has never come loose.

Mine don't have provisions for adding heart rate monitors or power meters, but they do function very well as cyclometers and as navigation systems that guide me to my destinations. They also keep track of where I've been and let me automatically synchronize with my digital camera to mark each photo with the lat/long position where it was taken.