Old 06-05-09, 02:09 PM
RudeSiggy

Bikes: '07 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL, DuraAce, Easton EA90 Aero Wheels (or MAVIC Carbone SLs)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about catching dropped riders in a road race.

So here's a question about road race rules.

There's an upcoming road race on a 10-mile loop that has 2 immense hills. The Masters 35/45+ guys are starting 5 minutes before the Cat 4s. You can guarantee that there is going to be a ton of overlap between the front of the Cat 4 field and the off-the-back master's riders. In fact, both fields will probably be demolished to tons of small groups and scattered riders.

Being optimistic, if I catch up to a Master's rider that has been dropped, can I work with him?

Let's make 2 assumptions: (a) I'm not in the lead group of the race, so I'm no longer in the rolling enclosure and (b) He's been dropped out of his rolling enclosure.

I think it's safe to say that if you're in the rolling enclosure, you shouldn't be allowed to draft the field in front of you, right? Unless... what if you go off the front and catch the master's field before your field does? What are the rules on jumping in another field?

FWIW, I'm thinking about the Lost River Classic in MABRA. With the two climbs, it's gonna be epic.