Old 06-05-09, 07:40 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the MSR dealer in Florence, they had MSR cartridges when I was there in 2006. I would stock up before leaving Florence. This is the Italian distributor for MSR, they have a dealer locator but it's in Italian. When I was in Sicily last year I found Coleman cartridges that interchanged with MSR cartridges in a boating store, but they were expensive. I only saw them in one store, and I only found MSR cartridges in one store in Sicily. The two types of Camping Gaz cartridges (pierceable and resealable) are very common in Italy, any outdoor store will have them. Next time I go to Italy (or anywhere in Europe), I'm using a Trangia stove. Don't cook too many meals, Italy is full of good restaurants!

Spend a few days in Florence (book your accommodation now, the good places go fast), spend at least a day in Siena, and be sure to ride the SP222 (provincial highway) from Florence to Siena. Montepulciano was my favorite hill town. Montefioralle is a pretty little village outside Greve in Chianti, but the climb to get to it is a little stiff (it's a 17% grade).

Get the TCI (Touring Club Italiano) 1:200,000 regional maps from Trek Tools, they're excellent cycling maps.

HTH,

mark