View Single Post
Old 06-07-09, 12:58 PM
Dan The Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long distance dog trailer

I am going on a long tour of a few thousand miles and I need to put together a trailer to bring my dog along in a trailer. He's about 50 lbs. I've definitely decided on a single wheel design because the highway shoulders squeeze pretty narrow in some areas and two wheels would mean riding in traffic or riding half in the gravel.

Here is a rough plan. I would appreciate any input from people who have done stuff like this before.

The trailer wheel will be a 20" or 16" from a kids bicycle probably. I might chop the rear stays that comes with the kids bike and use that to attach the trailer wheel to the bike. Or, I might just drill some axle holes into some aluminum square tube and run those along each side of the wheel. The body will probably be a shallow tupperware bucket bolted onto the chassis unless I come across anything better. The hitch is the tricky part. My bike has eyelets for mounting a rack just above the rear drop outs. I was thinking of connecting a rack to those and letting it hang down behind the rear wheel for pivoting up and down, then somehow connecting an old headset to that for the lateral pivot. Kind of like the BOB trailer. The other choice is to figure out some sort of seat post hitch.