View Single Post
Old 02-12-05, 10:53 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Having cycled France multiple times and married to a Francophile French teacher and befriended by lots of French student exchange hosts ,who have stayed with us and having hosted many French students.....I take deep exception to all the French bashing...( by the way, many t shirt vendors have beat Nike to French bashing.)
I get pretty boiled over French bashing..1- While cycling in their country , I was never treated but with complete respect and befriended by many with whom I met.
I say this French bashing is abnormal and it mostly comes from this side of the big pond...Some sort of complex, I believe..
The stories I could site as having completed multiple French bike tours...Much friendlier than what I have experienced going though Nevada or where ever..The problem lies with us, I say and the world does not find it funny. The image of the Ugly American pre-dates present conflicts by about 50 years. I like to think this image is fastly blown out of proportion, but some days I wonder...
I do not appreciate it , because with enough trolling, maybe my next bike ride to France, Italy , Germany will not be as pleasant if trolls have their way.
I know, I am being too serious to a frivilious thread... I hope.