Old 06-08-09, 07:58 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd bicycle riding injury

Last Saturday I was in a fairly large group training ride. Must have been 25 bikes in front of me at a pace of 20 MPH. I was close to the back, maybe 5 bikes from the end. We were on a two lane road with very small to no shoulder. There was a gravel road to the right with enough gravel spilled into out small shoulder to cause trouble. Anyway, a few bikes in front of me there started being problems. The bike in front of me (about one foot) started having problems, swerved and hit his brakes. I had no where to go. A road to the right with loose gravel. Traffic to the left. I slowed with the bike in front of me and somehow managed to keep from hitting him.

Now to the problem. The bike behind me came to my left, barely. His front tire hit the inside of my left leg. It hurt some, but not severe. We both stayed vertical, somehow. I apoligized for hitting my brakes. He apoligized for hitting me. Somehow, we were both at fault and not. We got straightened out and back to the pace line.

A very short time later a lady just in front of me had a flat. I pulled over to see if she had what she needed. She said she did, but asked if I would help, along with a good friend of mine that was a couple bikes back in the pace line. We helped with the flat, but each minute my leg hurt more.

I finally took a good look at my leg and much to my surprise found a burn a little over a foot long on my left calf. I had not idea it was this bad. Now a few days later it is really sore. I have treated it well, but it is still painful.

Has anyone ever been burned by a tire? My first time. I had no idea the damage it could do.