View Single Post
Old 06-09-09, 08:06 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by -holiday76
I've toured with a BOB. It's great for flat rides, like "down the beach" .

You have a tendency to overload the thing. The first time I used it, maybe 10 years ago, I rode 300 or so miles with it, then sent 25 pounds of stuff home that I never used. A lot of that had to do with my inexperience in touring at the time though.

So for flat, it's great.

Hills? I hate it. Not because it's hard to ride uphill with, but because on several occations it tried to pass be while going downhill. Luckily for me there were no cars coming the other way or I might not be here today.

This has happened to me both on a long wheelbase recumbent, as well as on a Upright Litespeed, so I came to the conclusion it wasnt happening due to the geometry of the bike.

My bob trailer sits in my bike shed hanging on the wall and has done that for the last 6 or so tours I've been on since I rarely seem to tour in the flats.

For off-road or on a canal path or something it's probably perfectly suited though. If I ever due that type of tour maybe I'll just break it out again. I just personally find that type of tour pretty boring.

Anyway, I'd suggest trying one out, just don't go 45 mph down the side of a mountain with it...
My Yakima likes to 'take charge' at about 34-35 MPH.