View Single Post
Old 06-11-09, 03:08 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not sure, but I think this is the hub I asked about appro one week ago. If I am right this is a rear hub with 2 or three internal gears plus also a casette for a normal der setup.

This system is good if you want more gears but want to avoid the front chainrings. On a folder more than one front chainring can be a challenge both becouse of chainline and fold. Also it looks like the peopel who try a 9speed casette with only one front chainring is struggeling with chaindrop.

I would guess a bike with this type gearing is a bit heavyer than a bike with a similar der geared bike. It is the same old story: do you want small fold, light bike or plenty gears? Can not have it all.

I am not sure if this type of gearing is easyer to pedal than other folders, but it could be that this bike had the gears you needed. With a lot of gears it is easyer to find the ones you want. On a bike with few (or only one gear) it is important the gears are the right ones for you.

If you`ve got 21 pairs of shoes but only one or two fit your size you are not really happy. If all 21 pairs are jogging shoes you are still not able to dress up for a party.

I am seriousely interested in this setup for two of my "BMX folders" that i think is going to do more and more of the "beater bike"and "utilitybike" jobs around here. So far I am happy with my Nexus 7 hub gears, but if I am going to get rid of my MTB`s and hybrds as planned I want this gearing.

Last edited by badmother; 06-11-09 at 03:10 AM. Reason: pelling