View Single Post
Old 06-12-09, 09:35 PM
MJH2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wilke
You raise a very important question. Downer Avenue has been a hallmark race for Superweek since the beginning and has been a Pro 1/2 only race until last year when, for the first time ever, lower classes were allowed to race on the hallowed course. (you guys don't know how lucky you are ... one of my career goals was to do that race and then to participate in the annual, unofficial, 'track stand' contest that occurred for the back markers ... but, I never got to Cat 2 and so never did that race. ). Can there be two Downer Avenue races? With both ToAD and Superweek putting on Downer Ave, will one become more dominant over the other? It's a question that many are asking and only time will tell!

As for the Super Prime, Bens Cyclery supplies the cash for that one, not Super Week, funded partially by the little party that takes part just around turn one. I read at the ToAD site that they are having the Bens Cyclery Super Prime (won last year by Rock Racing's Justin Williams) . He stated that he rode down the front stretch on Downer Ave at 42mph before diving into turn one, to win that $7,000 !!

Take a look at that gallery ... it was an emotional night for Rock.

Does Super Week have something up their sleeves for Downer Ave this year to make it stand out? We will have to wait and see.

I know that a lot of people are not happy with some of the ways S.W. has been run the past few years. Personally, I hope that they can continue to operate at top level and we can have TWO multi day series here.

It's going to be an exciting summer and I can't wait to see what happens. I'll be there everyday to report on the news.
According to Ben's web page it looks as though the "super" money is going with ToAD. Althoug, I didn't see a link to donate for it as they've had on there in the past. So, who knows.

I'm one of those sloppy lower cat riders to did the Downer Ave race last year. It was great. Great course, and great area of town. I wish I could hit it again this year, but the timing does not work (and Superweek wouldn't let me, anyway).

Edit- More info here