Bike Forums - View Single Post - What is a good tire for a difficult rim?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-09, 11:02 PM
sjpitts 

Bikes: 90 Bridgestone MB2/3, 97 Lemond Zurich, 97 Waterford 2200, 95 Mondonico Futura Leggero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is a good tire for a difficult rim?

My Schwinn circuit came with Mavic hubs and Mavic MA-40 rims. I don't think either were original to the bike, both because that is not what the 87 catalog says, and the rims have a performance bike sticker on them.

The rims are very difficult to get tires on. I got some new Conti Ultra Sport 700x23 tires from a friend and tried to put them. I got the front on, but the rear was impossible.

I did some searching, and bought this nice little tool.

Amazon.com: Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack with Handle: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack with Handle: Sports & Outdoors

I was able to install the tire with the tool, but it still was not all the easy. I can put the Kenda Kontenders that came with the rims on, but again, not very easy. I got the Conti's on another rim without difficulty.

So I really think that these stupid rims are just difficult.

I was originally planning on selling those wheels, but now I think I may keep them. If so, I would like to get get some good, but not super expensive tires on those wheels. But I would also like something that is a little easier to get on an off the rims. It is not really feasible to carry around that tool.

Anybody have a suggestion?

Will a kelvar bead instead of a wire bead make a difference?

Jared