rugerben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I started with this:

Modified it to become this:

And am now phasing it out in favor of this:

(which by the way, now has had the handlebar tape shellaced so it actually matches the honey Brooks saddle on it, rather than looking like band-aid color.

So just to sum it up, started with a Giant TranSend DX and am now beginning to use my Cannondale T400 (I bought it on CL for $400. Woot.) more and more.

Hybrid--->touring bike.

Why would I pick a touring bike over a cyclocross bike?
Longer chainstays, and you know it has al the right brazeons.

I can use the touring bike without having to worry about heel strike, even with a standard (non-touring) rack. CX bikes have shorter chainstays, so you may need a touring rack. Not really a big deal, and they don't really cost any more than a normal one. But touring bikes are built to handle while carrying a load. CX bikes aren't.

Also, many times that you see CX commuters, they have one one set of braze-ons in the back. So you have to pick between fenders or rack. Or you could double up on one braze-on. Or you could use P-clamps. But honestly, if you have a touring bike with enough braze-ons for everything, then you never have to worry about it. Fenders? sure throw 'em on there. Rack also? Yeah, why not. We've got a braze-on for that too.

I love the geometry of touring bikes. just a tad more relaxed than CX bikes.

That being said, my next bike very well may be a CX bike and I may use it for commuting. Why? Because it's not that big a deal to put on a touring rack. I'm sure it'll handle just fine with a load, even if not quite as well as a touring bike. I can always double up on one braze-on. And the geometry will be just fine.

In return for the compromises, I'd get a bike that I could strip down and ride fast on weekends instead of having a separate road bike.

It's a tough call between CX and touring. Right now I prefer touring. But only time will tell where my preferences will go.

OK fine. One last pic (since we all love pics.) Here is the bar tape on my C-Dale T400 as it is now:

Last edited by rugerben; 06-13-09 at 10:26 AM.