Old 06-14-09, 04:34 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Do you really think that thieves are running around with cone wrenches and stealing bog standard wheelsets locked with locking skewers? We can let our minds run wild with 'what ifs' but I prefer to stay grounded in the reality of what is actually happening.

What's the next panic? Getting jumped when unlocking your bike? Maybe we should all be armed......just in case.....
It depends on where you live and work. As for me, anything that is either useful and/or can be sold is up for grabs. Any type of bike is very attractive to these jokers. I have one rule of thumb for any bike I use or own-if I have to run errands or the like that causes or tempts me to lock it up, the bike stays home.

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
IMO, if you're leaving the bike outside, folded or unfolded the risks are about the same as with any other bike.

I'd use a good cable lock. I wouldn't worry too much about wheel theft, unless you've noticed it a lot where you are.

As to registration, I think it can help. The main thing is that if it does get stolen, in a few cases it'll end up on Craigslist or a local flea market, in which case you can eminently prove that the bike was in fact yours. Without registration, it might be tougher to make that case.
Nice calm middle income approuches, but where I live, it is a cruel joke. I purchased my folders since they are the only bikes I ever had that survived this long from theft, no matter what locking technique or locks I used. They have been tested in one of the most dangerous and bike theft prone areas in South-Central & East Los Angeles and survived for over 5 years. No other bikes I had ever approuched this.