Thread: Dog Bite
View Single Post
Old 02-14-05, 07:14 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by powers2b
Get a Lawyer ASAP and move to have the animal destroyed.
If not for you for the rest of us.
You trained hard and now all that time and effort may be down the drain because of a very irresponsible animal owner. You should be well compensated.
Originally Posted by rule
Yeah, no kidding. Just curious if there are leash laws in your neighborhood or community?

Either way, I agree with powers2b. Any dog that would come after a stranger twice isn't safe. I would also talk to an attorney. And I damn sure wouldn't be inclined to pay for jack under these circumstances. Good luck with your recovery process whatever you decide.
Originally Posted by webist
You need to speak with a lawyer. You might also speak with the animal control folks and the police yourself. Don't leave it to the medical folks. You need to work to have this menace removed and the owner punished. You don't want to find out how it feels to know this dog is dangerous and do nothing only to find out it later kills a kid.
Originally Posted by John E
Report the incident to animal control immediately. Ask them about whether the dog should be classified as "viscious."

Seek all appropriate medical aid and keep track of all expenses. You should not have to charge ANY of this to your own insurance, but against her liability coverage.
Originally Posted by Trekke
Birddog, I see at least a new Italian Bike in this for you.
BirdDog, it sucks that you got bit and it's messed up your training routine. Really. But I'm glad you stated that you're a dog lover, and this incident won't change that. I'm a bit disappointed in all the other people that are immediately calling for this dog to be put down and the owner sued. She's got these dogs for either companionship, protection, or both. We don't know the whole story but I've got a feeling you're disinclined to take any action yourself. The dog may have viewed you as a threat when you ran by, or only wanted to play, and misjudged a nip on the leg. Hard to say. It bit you, which is not acceptable. I'm sure you were quite agitated (not necessarily angry) when you yelled to the owner, and I'm sure there was distress in her voice when she spoke back. That would have put the already excited dog on higher alert, at which point you approached the owner. Dogs are territorial and protective. If it was genuinely vicious, it would have kept biting, and not just gone for a leg. I hope you heal quickly and without any complications, and I hope the owner not only covers any expenses you incur, but that she sees to it that the dog is properly immunized as well. If it's truly an unsafe animal, it should be euthanized. If it's not, I'm sure you'll agree it should be allowed to live, but that the owner needs to take a bit more proactive approach to animal handling. Good luck.