View Single Post
Old 06-15-09, 09:05 PM
Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trhouse
I was considering an electric bike earlier this year as an intermediate vehicle between my Peugeot and the car. I took the MSF ( motorcycle safety foundation ) class and ended up with motorcycle instead. This accident reminded of an event that happened during the class.

One of the riding tests was to shift into second gear then brake to a stop as quickly as possible while downshifting back into first. The first time I did this, I felt like I was going over the handlebars because I instinctively grapped the right brake lever like I would do on my Peugeot, but on motorcycles, the right lever is the front brake not the rear.

I have no idea which brake is activated by the right brake lever on an electric bike.
Traditionally in the US the right lever is the rear brake, and other countries it is the same as motorcycles (right hand, front brake).

I typically keep my bikes (e and non-e both) set up with the front brake in my right hand (motorcycle style). When I signal my turns I use my left hand and like to have my power brake in my right hand.