View Single Post
Old 06-16-09, 06:02 AM
aharong
always pulling a kid

Bikes: Cannondale T800 (dad), Trek 1000c (mom), Trek MT60 6-spd (6 year old), Novaro Afterburner 7-spd (4 year old), Chariot Cougar II (2 year old)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switching cassette: 12-26 to 11-34

I know that the issues of switching cogs and rings has been discussed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question in the archives.

My wife has a Trek 1000c which she likes. But she frequently tows 1-2 kids in a trailer and I think that she would benefit from a better selection of gears (specifically low end). I made some charts and did the math and decided that switching the cassette is more effetive than swapping out the entire crank and granny gear.

Her Sora rear derailluer maxes (according to Shimano specs) at 27T. So I intend to order a Deore M531 derailluer with the Deore HG50 11-34 cassette.

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me if her Sora STI brifters are compatible with the Deore derailluer?

This is similar to the road/mountain combo on my Cannondale T800 touring bike (105 STI & Deore XT), so I expect it to work. But I would love to benefit from someone elses specific knowledge.

Thanks.

Last edited by aharong; 06-16-09 at 06:47 AM.