Old 06-16-09, 09:24 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for just one bike, you may want to consider a cyclocross bike. Cyclocross bikes have their own subforum. If you prefer flat bars and want to have the ability to handle the rougher stuff, I'd suggest a mountainbike. With a mountainbike, you're almost guaranteed to get a suspension fork. I haven't seen any new mountainbikes with rigid forks in years.

Weight is somewhat important. The more likely it is that you'll be racing or if you ride a lot of steep hills, then weight will be a much more important factor than if you plan to spend most of your time cruising on the road.

Disc brakes are nice to have, especially if you ride in rainy weather a lot. If not, then I'd stick to regular rim brakes because they're lighter, less complicated, and easier to work on if you like to do your bike work yourself.

The question that's important now once you've decided on a cyclocross or MTB is what is your budget?