View Single Post
Old 06-17-09, 04:26 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Some fruits don't mix well with some veggies. I tried to go with really bitter and dark green into a fruit smoothie and it tasted terrible. The mustard greens are one of them. So I don't over do it on that one. If you check nutrition data web site, at least you will find out that these dark leafy veggies have a lot of minerals, something that fruits don't have a lot of. Bananas are an exception with its potassium.

My personal choice is to go anti oxidant with the fruits because when you work out, those free radicals are what you want to keep in line. By adding melons to these anti oxidants, you have something complementary: anti oxidant and natural sweet and tasty.

The three anti oxidants I use are blueberries, acai, and pomegranate juice. Some parts of the USA may not have acai. I use Sambazon brand of Acai and its the puree frozen bars. The blueberries I use are frozen and the pomegranate is Landers brand because its cheap.

If I go for a very long ride like 70 miles plus, I blend in dates from Costco. I think its called Medjool. That really makes it sweet and the dates plus the bananas are very good together. I had date shakes from all over Southern California, even Palm Springs, Coachella, Indio, and they're all the same. They lack sufficient dates. They're watered down. By making it home made you will actually taste the flavor of the dates. But beware the anti oxidants flavor will overwhelm the dates. The only thing you will have left is the texture of the dates. I really like that soft and smooth texture of dates with bananas.

The three melons I use are water melon, cantaloupe, honeydew. The water melon is the least desirable because its way too watery. If I had my choice, I would have smoothies at all the support stops on long rides.

Apples are supposed to be good antioxidants too plus they're very sweet. Parts of California have temperatures that dip low enough to grow apples and I like going there to pick up fresh apple cider. Boy I tell you, ice cold cider after a workout is really something. Sure beats Accelerate, G2, or anything else.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 06-17-09 at 04:30 PM.