View Single Post
Old 06-17-09, 09:16 PM
ronandi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC Bike Racks Installed Wrong

I noticed something the other day. That all of the new city installed bike racks are oriented in-correctly. These bike racks are typically an upside down "U" shape, so one bike could be locked up on the outer post one or two in the middle and one on the other outer post. However, because these bike racks are being installed parallel to the street, bikers are using them on the horizontal "flat" side, thus preventing anyone else from locking their bikes to the racks. Also, if you were to try and lock your bike up perpendicular to the rack (as I believe the racks were meant to be used), because the racks are placed so close to the street, your bike wheel would stick out over the curb and set yourself up for a car to bump into it when it would park.

I know it may sound like a trivial matter, but...we're talking thousands of bike racks that have been installed this way - and are to be installed, and i really think someone screwed up here.

Thoughts and comments???

FYI, I emailed transportation alternatives but didn't hear anything.

I also emailed the city and got this message....

"Thank you for your email regarding your bike rack suggestions. We appreciate your interest and have forwarded your email to our Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs. Ensuring the safety of our residents is of primary concern to the NYCDOT. Your participation in transportation issues which affect your community is greatly appreciated.

Customer Service Division, New York City Department of Transportation"