View Single Post
Old 06-18-09, 08:12 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
thats a tough crowd here .....
tell you what

I can care less if you have the fender mounted all the way back and render it worthless if you go any faster than 10 miles and the spray is all over your legs

I do care about safety on the road .... however, I guess its a free country and you can use the bike without mandatory reflectors. Just dont cry wolf if you get hit from a car

all the best Thor
Thor I did test fit the fender on the front of the fork:

- it doesn't hold securely as it does on the rear since there is only one hole and that doesn't allow for the second anti-rotation bolt to be mounted.
- the fender mounting bracket doesn't sit properly on the front of the fork and would need some DIY effort to work
- the rear of the fender now rubs on the tire
- the additional coverage gained is less than 1"

So I decided what the heck - let's mount it as intended by Bike Friday and see what happens. If Amy is unsatisfied with the way it works we'll do something about it. If there is a problem I suspect the solution will not be to mount the fender on the front of the fork. That DIY effort would better be spent riveting on a longer extension on the front to gain significantly more coverage.

I've had my NWT since January and note my front fender does not extend in front on the fork. This would theoretically be worse than the fender on Amy's bike. I even went to the trouble of buying some full coverage SKS 20" fenders, but you know what I haven't had a problem yet so the new fenders have not gone on. I'm sure they will provide better coverage and I think they'll look nicer, but the stock BF fenders have worked just fine. I have not come home covered in road spray yet.

As for reflectors and safety we clearly see things differently. I am not interested in getting into a debate about CPSA reflectors or bike safety. I'm not going to bug you about what safety items you use or how you ride your bike. I hope neither of us ever get hit and if that does happen I hope we have the good grace not to harangue the other person about it.

Last edited by vik; 06-18-09 at 08:21 AM.