Old 06-18-09, 03:31 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The spline length is from the stops at the left side. Those stops must be there, or the largest cog would hit the spokes. The freehub may have been misassembled, if it's ever been taken apart. Check the entire length of the axle, across the nuts at each end. It should be 130mm. Obviously, the lockring must not protrude as much as the nut at the end of the axle. This problem has nothing to do with your frame.

Also check the cassette to be sure it hasn't been misassembled in some manner.
Um Dave....I have Daytona 10spd...and literally with cassette on - I have the exact same as shown in the OP original post - 1 to 1.5mm of axle end left past the last cog. (2mm at best...)

Not all frames set to 130mm are by default 10spd ready...if the seatstays aren't flared out before joining the dropout - OR - if the seatstays and chainstays aren't scalloped adequately - you can run into the issues described by the OP.

This is why on older 130mm frames and 126mm frames that have been cold set to 130mm...you have to do a final test - i.e., pop the cassette equipeed hub or wheel into the frame and visually check BEFORE you can claim success moving to 10spd.

=8-)